Perspectives on Oropharyngeal Cancer: Scientific Overview, Clinical Expertise, and Personal Experience
Every year, over 33,000 men and women are diagnosed with cancer caused by HPV. While cervical cancer is the most well-known cancer that is caused by HPV, there are five other types of cancers that can develop from HPV. Oropharyngeal cancer has recently surpassed cervical cancer as the most common cancer caused by HPV, accounting for nearly 13,000 cases every year in the United States.
Compared to HPV and cervical cancer, awareness of the link between HPV and oropharyngeal cancer is still low, which presents an important opportunity for more education. During this archived webinar, two experts explain the burden of oropharyngeal cancer, current trends in the epidemiology of oropharyngeal cancer, a clinical picture of the disease, and the importance of vaccination to prevent HPV infections. They also address common questions related to HPV and oropharyngeal cancer.
Dr. Amber D’Souza, Associate Professor, Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, and Dr. Carole Fakhry, Associate Professor, Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, have co-authored several papers about commonly asked questions from patients about HPV-related oropharyngeal cancers, as well as the psychosocial experiences of HPV-related oropharyngeal cancer survivors both during and after treatment.
Finally, the archived webinar helps listeners learn about oropharyngeal cancer through the eyes of a survivor. Jason Mendelsohn is an HPV oropharyngeal cancer survivor who actively shares the story of his illness and recovery as a means to educate the public about HPV and its link to oropharyngeal cancer.
As a result of this archived webinar, the participant will be able to:
- Understand the burden and epidemiology of oropharyngeal cancer as well as the natural history from HPV infection to oropharyngeal cancer.
- Understand the difference between oral cancers and oropharyngeal cancers.
- Learn how to address common questions about oropharyngeal cancer and HPV vaccine.
- Understand the process of diagnosis, treatment, and recovery from oropharyngeal cancer from a cancer survivor’s perspective.
- Amber D’Souza, PhD, MS, MPH, Associate Professor, Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Carole Fakhry, MD, MPH, Associate Professor, Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Jason Mendelsohn, Survivor, Superman HPV; Executive Board, Head & Neck Cancer Alliance
This one-hour webinar was originally presented on February 13, 2019. Discussion among the presenters and participants that occurred during the live version of the webinar was captured. To learn more, watch the archived webinar below or download the presentation slides
. Jason Mendelsohn’s video story is also available below, and a transcript of the webinar will be available in the near future.