Skip to content
Ann M. Gillenwateradmin2018-06-05T15:07:13+00:00
- Professor, Department of Head and Neck Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
- Detection and treatment of early oral cancer and precancer
- Merkel Cell Carcinoma
- 1987 University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, MD, Medicine
- 1983 Brown University, Providence, RI, BA, Russian Studies
- 1993-1994 Clinical Fellowship, Dept. of Head & Neck Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
- 1992-1993 Research Fellowship, Dept. of Head & Neck Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
- 1989-1992 Otolaryngology Resident, Dept. of Otolaryngology/Head & Neck Surgery, UT Health Science Center at Houston, Houston, TX
- 1987-1989 Surgical Internship, Dept. of General Surgery, UT Health Science Center At Houston, Houston, TX
- 3/1993 American Board of Otolaryngology
- Director, Oral Cancer Prevention Center, Department of Head and Neck Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2006-present
Honors and Awards
- 2002 Honor Award, American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery
- 2001 UT MD Anderson Educator of the Month Award, UT MD Anderson Cancer Center
- 1996 Triological Society Research Training Award
- 1983 Magna Cum Laude, Brown University
- 1982 Phi Beta Kappa, Brown University
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery Member, 1996
- American Association for Cancer Research Member, 1996
- American College of Surgeons Member, 2002
- American Head and Neck Society Member, 1996
- American Medical Association Member, 1995
- American Society of Clinical Oncology Member, 2002
- American Thyroid Association Member, 2004
- Association of Women Surgeons Member, 2002
- Optical Society of America, Washington, DC Member, 2007
- Society for Molecular Imaging Member, 2004
- The International Academy of Oral Oncology Member, 2006
Peer-Reviewed Original Research Articles
- Nitin N, Rosbach KJ, El-Naggar A, Williams M, Gillenwater A, Richards-Kortum RR. Optical Molecular Imaging of Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Expression to Improve Detection of Oral Neoplasia. Neoplasia 11(6):542-551, 6/2009. PMCID: PMC2685443.
- Roblyer D, Kurachi C, Stepanek V, Williams MD, El-Naggar AK, Lee JJ, Gillenwater AM, Richards-Kortum R. Objective detection and delineation of oral neoplasia using autofluorescence imaging. Cancer Prev Res 2(5):423-31, 4/2009. PMCID: PMC2719708.
- Schwarz RA, Gao W, Weber CR, Kurachi C, Lee JJ, El-Naggar AK, Richards-Kortum R, Gillenwater AM. Noninvasive evaluation of oral lesions using depth-sensitive optical spectroscopy. Cancer 115(8):1669-1679, 2009. PMCID: PMC2728679.
- Pavlova I, Williams MD, El-Naggar A, Richards-Kortum R, Gillenwater A. Understanding the biological basis of autofluorescence imaging for oral cancer detection: high resolution fluorescence microscopy in viable tissue. Clin Cancer Res 14(8):2396-404, 4/2008. PMCID: PMC2773159.
- Gillenwater AM, Zhong M, Lotan R. Histone deacetylase inhibitor suberoylanilide hydroxamic acid induces apoptosis through both mitochondrial and Fas (Cd95) signaling in head and neck squamous carcionoma cells. Mol Cancer Ther 6(11):2967-2975, 11/2007. PMID: 18025281.