Dr. Fakhry earned her medical degree at Johns Hopkins University, where she also completed her internship, residency and fellowship. Dr. Fakhry serves as Assistant Professor, Department of Epidemiology, and Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery at Johns Hopkins University.
OCF is pleased to have her as a science advisory board member and to be a financial co-sponsor of her work elucidating oral cancer epidemiology, HPV natural history, and innovative mechanisms for the screening and early discovery of oral and oropharyngeal cancers and identifying which cancer patients are at risk for extra capsular spread of the disease.
Outside her research and clinical treatment responsibilities, she is engaged in many collateral activities in the head and neck/oral cancer world including serving on various editorial boards and peer review activities at prominent publications including:
Oral Oncology (2012-present)
Journal peer-review activities
- Laryngoscope ( 2006-present)
- Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery (2008-present)
- Head and Neck, Reviewer (2008-present)
- Cancer Research (2010-present)
- Vaccine (2012-present)
- Cancer (2012-present)
- Oral Oncology (2012-present)
- International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics (2013-present)
- Journal of Oral Pathology and Medicine (2013-present)
- Journal of Clinical Investigation (2013-present)
- British Journal of Cancer (2013-present)
- PLOS One (2013-present)
- Annals Oncology (2013-present)
- Cancer Prevention Research (2013-present)
- Journal of Racial and Ethnic Disparities (2014-present)
- Cancer Medicine (2014-present)
- Annals Surgical Oncology (2014-present)
- 2005 – American Academy of Otolaryngology travel grant- Conference on Research Education and Training in Otolaryngology (CRETO).
- 2007 – Johns Hopkins University Oncology Best Clinical Poster
- 2007 – American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Bradley Stuart Beller Foundation Fellowship Merit Award, ASCO
- 2009 – Maryland Society of Otolaryngology, 3rd place, Resident Research Award
General Research Interest and Current Activities
Dr. Fakhry explores HPV natural history, and is interested in the development of innovative mechanisms for the screening and early discovery of oral and oropharyngeal cancers. One of her current projects will identify which cancer patients are at risk for extra capsular spread of the disease. This is highly important in determining which patients will benefit from surgery vs. chemo-radiation therapies.
- Incidence and risk factors of HPV-related and HPV-unrelated Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma in HIV-infected individuals.
Beachler DC, Abraham AG, Silverberg MJ, Jing Y, Fakhry C, Gill MJ, Dubrow R, Kitahata MM, Klein MB, Burchell AN, Korthuis PT, Moore RD, D’Souza G; On behalf of the North American AIDS Cohort Collaboration on Research and Design (NA-ACCORD) of IeDEA.
Oral Oncol. 2014 Oct 6. pii: S1368-8375(14)00272-3. doi: 10.1016/j.oraloncology.2014.09.011.